Friday, 15 May 2015

Critical Evaluation and Reflection

All in all, I think that things have gone well for this project.

There have been some setbacks and problems - some that were my fault such as letting work creep up on me in first semester and some that were unavoidable such as misunderstandings between me and the charity that cost time - but the vast majority of these problems have been valuable learning experiences. One of the greatest advantages of doing a project like this is how independent the project is compared to previous assignments. I've gained valuable experience working by myself and with external clients that will be very helpful in the future.

I'm quite happy with the website I produced in the end. I have met most of the major goals that had initially been set and adapted my attention as the priorities of the charity and myself shifted across the project. The finished product is responsive, clean and has plenty of room for the charity to expand the website in any way they see fit.

There are some things I would have done differently or would like to have had more time to work on. While I'm mostly happy with the overall theme, there are several individual pages that I'm not quite happy with. There are various reasons for this, but time was the major factor. There were over a hundred pages that I had to convert into the new standard and many of them were large pages that took a considerable amount of time to do. Add to this lack of time I had to contend with the limitations of working within the Wordpress CMS editor and I had to make everything so that it could be easily edited by the charity - meaning that I had to keep "fancy" coding to a minimum in the actual pages.

Working to these conditions and not having as much time as I would have liked is why I'm not quite happy with some of the pages. Beyond wanting more time to fine tune and tweak the pages and theme though, in the end I'm happy with my project.  I've met my main objectives, gained valuable experience, learned several new tricks and produced a product that the charity is very happy with.

No comments:

Post a Comment